MSP MCU Programmer and Debugger
The MSP-FET is compatible with Code Composer Studio v6 and later
The MSP-FET is a powerful emulation development tool – often called a debug probe – which allows users to quickly begin application development on MSP low-power microcontrollers (MCU).
Creating MCU software usually requires downloading the resulting binary program to the MSP device for validation and debugging. The MSP-FET provides a debug communication pathway between a host computer and the target MSP. Furthermore, the MSP-FET also provides a Backchannel UART connection between the computer’s USB interface and the MSP UART. This affords the MSP programmer a convenient method for communicating serially between the MSP and a terminal running on the computer. It also supports loading programs (often called firmware) to the MSP target using the BSL (bootstrap loader) via UART and I2C communication protocols.
The USB interface connects the MSP-FET to the computer, while the 14-pin connector provides access to the MSP debug emulation port – which consists of either a standard JTAG interface or by using the pin-saving Spy-Bi-Wire (2-wire JTAG) protocol.
Connection between the 14-pin cable and the MSP debug port is commonly handled by placing a standardized 14-pin header connector on the target board and routing the necessary emulation signals to their respective debug pins. This method provides software developers with a simple, in-system debug model.
For convenience early in the software development cycle, the MSP-FET can be used in conjunction with the MSP Target Socket boards. Along with the 14-pin debug connector, these kits provide access to pins on your MSP device, making it easy to begin software development right away, even before designing and building your own target board.
For MSP432 devices it is possible to connect to the MSP-FET via the MSP432 Adapter for MSP-FET to boards with ARM 20pin and ARM 10pin connector. You can use either the standard ARM JTAG interface or by using ARM SWD (2-wire JTAG) protocol.
- Software configurable supply voltage between 1.8 V and 3.6 V at 100 mA
- Supports JTAG Security Fuse blown to protect code
- Supports JTAG and SWD lock on MSP432 devices to protect code
- Supports all MSP430 boards with JTAG header
- Supports JTAG and Spy-Bi-Wire (2-wire JTAG) debug protocols
- Supports ARM JTAG and ARM SWD debug protocols
- USB debugging interface to connect any MSP430 MCU to a computer for real-time, in-system programming and debugging
- Enables EnergyTrace™ technology for energy measurement and debugging on all MSP430 and MSP432 devices in the Code Composer Studio and IAR Embedded Workbench development environments
- Supports tri-state mode to show “accurate” EnergyTrace power numbers
- Includes Backchannel UART for bi-directional communication between the MSP430 and a PC.
- This could enable simulation of inputs from sensors as well as logging of debug data while an application is running
- MSP BootStrapLoader (BSL) interface
- Up to 4x faster read/write speeds than the previous version of the FET programmer, MSP-FET430UIF
- MSP-FET interface module
- 14-conductor cable
- Micro USB Cable